The mission of the Santa Fe Trail Association is to protect and preserve the Santa Fe Trail and to promote awareness of the historical legacy associated with it. The Santa Fe Trail Association's purposes are exclusively charitable and educational within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The goals of the Santa Fe Trail Association, as adopted by the Board of Directors, May 30, 1996 and published in Wagon Tracks in August 1996, Volume 10, #4, page 2 are as follows:
- Hold annual meetings of the Association
- Encourage and support SFTA chapters.
- Publish regularly a newsletter and other materials.
- Encourage and sponsor scholarship and research.
- Work with schools and teachers.
- Work with public and private, local, state and federal entities.
- Work with the National Park Service through a designated cooperative agreement.
- Promote and assist in mapping and marking the historic routes of the Santa Fe Trail in cooperation with the National Park Service and others.
- Publicize the Trail and the SFTA and its activities.
- Represent the Santa Fe Trail as one of many historical and recreational trails.